Monday 3 June 2013

MOLAGOOTAL (vegetables with dal and coconut gravy)

Molagootal is a preparation of vegetables, dals in coconut gravy goes well with chapati, rice.  It is a simple  and mild dish with not much spice in it can be had by small children too.  If at all you want a spicy version, can add  more chillies according to your  requirement.

This is one of my dad's and my nephew's favourite dish in our house.  Whenever my nephew comes home, I always make this as he love to have it with the phulkas my maid makes.

We can choose any kind of vegetables for this but my favourite combination is red and white pumpkin and drumstick.  Since I did not have the drumstick when I planned to make this, I used only both the pumpkins.
Molagootal

Let us look at the recipe now:

Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
cooking time: cooker 30 minutes + 25 minutes (total 55 minutes- 1 hr)
serves:  3-4


Ingredients:

1 cup white and red pumpkin
1/2 cup tur dal or moongdal
1 red chilli
1 tsp urad dal
4 tbsp grated fresh coconut
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp oil
salt as per taste
turmeric powder.

Seasoning:

1 tsp oil
1 tsp urid dal
1 tsp mustard seeds
one or two pieces of broken red chilli
few curry leaves.

Method:

1.  Cook the vegetables with turmeric powder, salt.

cooking red and white pumpkin

2.  In a kadai, heat oil, fry the urid dal, red chilli.
3.  Grind the coconut, fried red chilli, urid dal, cumin seeds with little water.
4.  Pressure cook the dal and keep aside.
5.  Once the vegetables are cooked, add the mashed dal, ground gravy and boil.
6.  Season with the items mentioned under seasoning.

How to serve:

serve hot with chapti, plain rice.

THANK YOU FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment