Friday 13 May 2016

BANANA CHIPS, KAYA VARUTHATHU

Banana chips is famous in Kerala.  This is made with the Nendrankaya a different variety of banana which can be used for making chips as well as ripe fruit.  Pazham pori is made with this ripe banana and pazham nurukku which is must for ONAM sadya. sarkara varatti upperi is also made with this banana.

My mother in law never used to eat this chips store bought one  as she had tooth problems and finds it difficult to eat.  But when I started making it at home, she really used to enjoy it as I make very thin chips which can be broken with your hands and eat it.  She used to keep it in her mouth for some time and then swallow.  

Whenever I get chance to buy the banana, I used to make the chips specially for her.  I have posted the same in the simleindianrecipes.com with the video the link is here:  Plantain chips.

As I was trying to post the Bread fruit varuval, I realised that I have not posted the Banana chips in the blog hence before I posted the above, I thought I will post the Banana chips first.  The real taste of the banana is if you make it in coconut oil.  If you are not comfortable with it, you can use any kind of refined oil.

Let us look at the recipe now:




Author: Raji Ramakrishnan
Cuisine: Indian
Category: Chips/varuval

Ingredients:

2 Nendrankaya (Raw banana)
1 cup  coconut oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp water
a pinch of turmeric powder and 1 cup water

Method:

1.  Cut both the ends of the banana.  To peel banana, you can slit them with the knife and take out/peel off.

2.  Immerse it in the turmeric water for about 10-15 minutes.  This is done to remove the stickiness/ we call kara in malayalam.

3.  Remove from water, pat dry.

4.  Heat oil in kadi.  Take a slicer and directly slice it in the oil.  You can watch the video to get the idea.

5. Mix the salt in 2 tsp water and keep aside.  When it is half cooked, add a tspful of salt water in the oil.  It will start bubbling. do not worry and get scared when it come up little bit.

6.  When the bubbling sound stops, you can feel that the banana is fried and it is crispy.  Take out and put in the paper towel to remove the excess oil. 

7.  Your banana chips is ready to serve.

You can serve it with rice varieties, or with tea coffee

THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME.

2 comments: