Saturday 4 October 2014

COCONUT GUN POWDER

Coconut gun powder has little bit similarity with sambara podi.  In samabara podi, not used urid dal and normally after extracting the coconut milk, the left over is used.  In one of my aunty's house and my husband's relatives house, I tasted the gun powder which was similar and different from the one I used to make.  Though I did not ask them for the recipe, I used my own version and tried and was a hit.

Yesterday, while making Peanut sundal for neivedyam for the complex Devi, I had some coconut in the fridge.  When I opened the box, the smell was bit different and thought must have got spoiled.  I told my husband to check, he said it is absolutely alright.  However, I did not want to take a chance as so many people will partake the prasadam, I thought of using fresh coconut.

Then the question came what to do with the coconut which is lying with me. Thinking process was on and that is how this recipe was formed.




Let us look at the recipe now:

Ingredients:

1 cup coriander seeds
3/4  cup coconut
1/2 cup urid dal
tamarind - big size green  peas
10-15 red chilli powder
hing powder
2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
3  tsp oil
salt

Method:  

dry roast the coriander seeds and curry leaves separately, keep aside.   in the same kadai, add 1 tsp oil when it becomes hot add the grated coconut, tamarind and roast till it turns brown in colour.  add one tsp oil and fry the urid dal till it turn brown in colour, add the hing powder, mix well keep aside.   add the remaining oil in kadai, put the red chillies and roast it for two minutes and switch off gas.  It will become crisp.  cool all the ingredients. 

put the coriander, chilli in the mixer and grind together.  now add the urid dal and grind for two minutes. finally add the coconut, curry leaves, salt  and grind it till you get a coarse gun powder.  serve with Idli, Dosa, curd rice, dal rice etc.






No comments:

Post a Comment