Sunday 14 December 2014

THENGAI KOOTAN

Thengai means coconut and kootan means curry.  Thengai kootan is made out of coconut and some vegetables.  I tasted this dish only after my marriage.  When my mother in law made this, I liked it very much and it became part of  the dish once in a week.  I love to have this some chutta pappadam (roasted papad).  It is a simple preparation with or without vegetables and handy when you are having unexpected guests at home. 

(Tamarind is used for making this.  But due to health issues, I avoid tamarind and use amchur powder or bit sour curd too.)

This can be served with plain rice, sevai, idli and dosa too.



 video:  thengai kootan


Let us look at the recipe now:

serves: 1-2                         (for 4 people, my MIL used to take 1 coconut)

Ingredients:

8-9 pcs of red pumpkin (you can use drumstick, fried bhindi, colacasia,  suran etc)
1 tbs coconut  ( I have limited the quantity of coconut here due to health issues acutally you can add 3-4 tbsp coconut)
1 red chilli
1/2 tsp chana dal (my mil do not use this)
7-8 methi seeds
1 tbsp tamarind pulp  ( i have used 1/4 tsp amchur powder)
a pinch of turmeric powder
salt
oil

Tempering;

1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
7-8 methi seeds
curry leaves
a pinch of asafoetida

Method:

Fry the methi seeds, red chilli, chana dal ( i used chana dal to make the gravy bit thick consistency as I have reduced the amount of coconut here)  and grind along with the coconut to a smooth paste.

In a kadai cook the vegetable with turmeric powder, tamrind pulp and salt.  add the ground paste in it and simmer.  temper with the ingredients under tempering.  serve hot with rice, idli, dosa etc.

Todays lunch: Rice, thengai kootan, avarakka poriyal.

thanks for visiting the blog.  do post your comments. like and share in FB, add to google +

banao, khao or khilao. happy cooking.




No comments:

Post a Comment