Monday 8 December 2014

BHATUA KOOTU

Bhatua is a leafy vegetable which is added to the sarson (mustard greens) for making sarson ka saag.  Recently I made sarson ka saag and a cup of bhatua was balance in my fridge.  Though I have not made any dish with this greens, I tried the kootu today.   The kootu is made in different ways but this is a unique one you will agree with me.

I used little moongdal, coconut paste made for avial.  something weird right.  What happened was I made avial today and the coconut paste was too much for the quantity of vegetable I boiled.  So I had kept some paste of that which I used for this kootu.






Let us look at the recipe now:

Ingredients:

1 cup bhatua greens
2 tbsp moongdal
2 tbsp grated coconut
a generous pinch of cumin seeds
half red chilli
half green chilli
salt
turmeric powder

Tempering:

1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urid dal
1 pc of red chilli

Method:

wash the bhatua greens properly till the water come out clean.  pick up the greens and put them in kadai, cover and cook till soft. allow to cool.  just pulse it for a second, the same should be coarsely ground.

grind the coconut, red, green chilli, cumin seeds with little water and keep aside.

Boil the moongdal with little water.  the dal should not be cooked softly.  It should be cooked but firm.  add the coconut paste, greens, turmeric powder, salt and allow to boil.  adjust the consistency of the kootu by adding water, if necessary.

temper with the ingredients mentioned above.  serve hot with chapati, roti, rice etc.  You can serve this with rasam rice, sambar rice too as side dish.

If you make it bit watery, you can serve this like molagootal.



 THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.  YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment