Tuesday 26 January 2016

AMLA WAFER, NELLIKKA VARUTHATHU





We all are familiar with the Amla chutneys, pickles and jams or murabbas, juice, amla supari etc.  This Indian Gooseberry may not be liked by everyone due to its taste, but this wonderful fruit has got many health benefits.

You can have eat this raw, put in salt water and keep.  whenever you want, remove and make arachukalaki with coconut and green chilli with little curd.  this one is my favaourite.

This is also known as Amlakka or Amlakai or Amla, Avla etc..  Other names are Usiri Kaya in Telugu, Nellikkai in Tamil and Nelli in Malayalam.   It is rich in Calcium. The health benefits are linked here:

Recently, one of my friend told me that they used to slice the amla very thinly and sun dry the same and make raita out of it.  I just want to try this hence I had purchased 250 gms of this amla and kept for drying.

I was bored and could not get sleep in the afternoon, I thought I will try making wafer of this. You will not believe it was quite tasty.  Those who love to eat amla will definitely like this for a change.  You may feel strange, but it is worth trying.





Let us look at the recipe now:

250 gms amla

Method:

Wash and slice them thinly, apply little salt  and sun dry the same for 2-3 days. store in airtight container.

Idid not put salt, I just dried it as it is as shown in the picture.

WAFER:

handful of dried amla
4 tbsp oil

chaat masala, red chilli powder, salt, pepper powder.

fry the amla as you fry the normal vadams. remove and put in bowl.  add chaat masala, red chilli powder, salt, pepper powder as required and mix well.

How to serve:

Eat as it is or serve with dal rice, curd rice etc.

Do give me your feed back, would love it.


A

4 comments:

  1. Made this. It was so tasty. My kids are just snacking with the sun dried amla even without frying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi thanks for visiting the blog. good for health. glad that they like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wanted help how to slice thin amla can u guide me as not able to make thin slices my mobie no 9823036541 pl help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can slice with thin slicer or with sharp knife

      Delete