Tuesday 29 July 2014

DATES KHEER

Today, I have invited my brothers and family for lunch.  Menu was decided by my daughter lauki partha, rice, sambar, payar thoran.  for dessert, mummy, I will leave it to you, she said.  I was bored of cooking the normal kheer viz. pal payasam, wheat payasam, ada pradhaman, semiya payasam  etc. etc.

I made dates chikoo milk shake and next day I tried the dates kheer too.  Somehow, I could not post the same as the photographs were lost due to fault in my camera.  Since I had the opportunity to make the dates kheer again, I thought I will post the same today itself.




Let us look at the recipe now:


Preparation time:  30 minutes.
cooking time: 30 minutes
serves: 7-8

Ingredients:

Dates ( I used falcon seedless dates) 10-12
Milk - 1 ltr
sugar - 1/4 cup
whole cashewnuts - 8


Others:

Cashewnuts - 6 nos
5-6 seedless dates
1 tsp thee
a pinch of cardamom powder

Method:

Boil 1/2 cup milk and put the dates in it and soak the same for 15-20 minutes. Powder the 8 cashews and keep aside.  When the milk cools down, grind to a smooth paste.  In a heavy bottom vessel, boil the milk.   chop the dates mentioned under "OTHERS"  and  allow the milk  to reduce 1/4 of the volume.   add the dates paste and bring to boil, simmer and cook the same for 20 minutes.  add the cashew powder, sugar and mix well.

Break the cashews mentioned under "OTHERS" and fry them in ghee.  add this to the kheer, cardamom powder and serve hot or cold as you wish.




No comments:

Post a Comment